The Electronic Staff Record system (ESR) is the NHS's national workforce management system, used by all NHS organisations in England and Wales (with two exceptions).
Alongside its HR, recruitment and payroll management functionality it also offers learning management (OLM), including eLearning.
Using ESR eLearning is a way for all NHS employees with a staff record on ESR to access free of charge eLearning courses written for the NHS.
The functionality is fully integrated into the ESR and OLM and can be seen as part of a wider Self Service solution enabling:
- Delivery of over 700 national eLearning courses to all employees with a staff record on ESR, free of charge
- Delivery of locally developed eLearning courses
- The ability to create local assessments
- Training teams to manage eLearning course delivery in addition to traditional face to face training, through one single point of access, a fully blended approach to learning
- Remote access for employees to national and local eLearning courses, creating a flexible way of learning to suit individual learners
- Tracking of users' progress through each course and the ability to record results of tests and other data in ESR against the portable employee record
- A consistent approach and delivery mechanism for local and national eLearning content across the NHS
- Local and National eLearning can be linked to competencies for fully integrated education management within ESR supporting national Streamlining projects
For further information, please visit the ESR support website and NLMS project website: